Sunday, September 30, 2007

and the winner is...

Me! (In the category of Runners Wearing University of Mississippi Hats--at least I think so.)

Seriously, though, the 5k went well, the weather was perfect and it raised tons of money for a great cause. It was funny to see dogs dressed up in pink taking part. I started out strong, slowed down between 3-4 and then picked it up for the last k. Not bad considering I've only been back in a running groove for 3 weeks or so. It wasn't timed at all, adding even more to the "this is for a cause, not competition" vibe that prevailed.

Rest assured, when I don't find Southern links, I find Scottish and Scandi links! As I gulped down some post-race water and meandered over to the stage they had set up, I heard some recorded fiddle music. Its beneficiaries? Some Highland dancers! The crowd loved it. I liked seeing it in the shadow of the ultra-modern city hall, designed by a Finn!

---------------

I'd left my keys at my building's front desk, so had to run with just two things (besides my iPod): my card that gets me into my building and my subway pass. The train was full of fellow racers, so Queen Street station saw a mass exodus of riders. Speaking of the iPod, I warmed up to a wide array of tunes, from Chuck Berry to Kaiser Chiefs. During the race, I listened to a race-specific playlist I created when I ran some 10ks in the spring. It includes a hodgepodge of things, from The Ponys to The Raveonettes to The Pipettes.

---------------

While waiting for the subway, I noticed a woman pacing. A lot. Had a strange look on her face. She walked up and started talking. (You can imagine my delight.)

Her: "Are you running the Race for the Cure?"

Me: "Yes."

Her: "Where did you get that number?" [the race number pinned to my shirt.]

Me: "I got it when and where I signed up for the race."

Her: "What songs do you have on your iPod?"

Me: "Oh, lots of them. Too many to name."

Her: "Do you have any Cyndi Lauper?"

Me: "Err, no, I don't." [Peers anxiously down the track for any sign of the train.]

Her: "She had that 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' song."

Me: "Yeah, she did." [Looks lovingly at the train that has just arrived.]

----------------

When did Wilco become SO BORING? Good grief, I used to count down the days to their new record releases. Those days appear to be over. I was really put off by all of the endless, self-indulgent guitar wankery on their last record, and their new one just puts me to sleep. Really. Insomnia? Put on the new Wilco record! I was gonna ask myself, Self, what happened to the Wilco that put out Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and those Billy Bragg/Woody Guthrie records? But I know what happened. The lineup changed. Repeatedly. Does this scene from This is Spinal Tap ring true? I think so.



--------------

I'll leave you with The Duloks!

2 comments:

Marty DiBergi said...

Well, at least she didn't say...."hey you know what Cyndi Lauper song I love .... 'She Bop' .... do you know what that song is really about????" (with a smile on her face)

You should have told her that for real 80's music experience....she should go swimming with "the Ocean"

Rachel said...

"I'm sure I'd feel worse if I wasn't under such heavy sedation"

Got to love Spinal Tap!

Well done on the run and for an excellent cause too! :)