Sunday, January 27, 2008

odds and sods

Did you know?
There was no such thing as a Canadian passport until 1946. Prior to that, Canadians were still considered British subjects and carried British passports. There's your random fact for the day.

I'm signing up for e-news updates from my MP, Olivia Chow of the NDP. While I can't vote, I'm still interested in keeping tabs on events in my riding, Trinity-Spadina.

Because I've been here a few months, I'm now able to compile a list of In Canada/Not In Canada for those from the US. In case you're curious:

In Canada
Orange Crush
Best Buy
Vault
surprisingly good Mexican food (and even some Taco Bells)
Arby's (I've seen one)

Not In Canada
Mountain Dew with caffeine (!!)
Target
cheddar and sour cream chips (usually--I've seen them once)
Mello Yello
biscuits (as in Southern bread-type biscuits, not British biscuits)
hockey (just kidding)

Switching to music, congrats to SITGWN faves Sahara Hotnights for winning the Rockbjörnen award for best group of the year in Sweden. Check out this cool interview from the website of the Aftonbladet to hear the Swedish language in action.

I hadn't listened to Liverpool band The Coral in quite a while, but got their newest record and like it a lot. Going back one album, this is one of their best tunes, "In The Morning":

1 comment:

ROBIN REDD said...

Buffalo is only an hour drive... they have Target there... they also have a Cheesecake Factory which provides twice the incentive to go.

...and thanks for the heads up on the Design Within Reach... I had no idea, which is totally ridiculous seeing as I live down the street.

Enjoy the snowstorm - I'm totally into it. Now, if only I were in the woods...