Wednesday, October 10, 2007

return to the red and white

As Marty DiBergi would say, my car finally lost its extradition battle today. That's right, I'm back in Toronto with my car, having left Buffalo behind. Blue-and-white Ontario plates are all I need...

-----------------

Last night I walked around after dinner, trying to find the movie theater showing Eastern Promises. Seven or eight blocks down Main St., and I turned right around. Hated to do it, but I wasn't liking the vibe, and I go with my instincts when I travel. A quick search on Wikipedia when I got back to the hotel confirmed what I noticed: Buffalo has a huge number of vacant buildings. In fact, the only US city with more vacant buildings is St. Louis. It makes sense, considering that in 1950 Buffalo's population was more than double what it is now. Still makes for a sad sight, as there are some sharp-looking buildings just collecting dust. I did like The Sidway, an old building with loft apartments over a bar.

-----------------

Does the term "Mod shower curtain" sound odd? Well I have one.

-----------------

The Ontario provincial election was today. The CBC is reporting that the Liberal Party has been returned to power with a reduced majority. Dalton McGuinty will be Premier for another parliament. The NDP is doing well, and the Green Party's support has risen to about 8% of the vote, although I don't think it will win any seats. Its leader Frank De Jong came in fourth in his riding of Davenport.

Rosario Marchese of the NDP has been re-elected in my riding, Trinity-Spadina, and George Smitherman of the Liberals was re-elected in Toronto Centre, where I lived last month.

Sadly, the proposed multi-member, proportional representation system for future elections was voted down in a referendum. Guess Ontario wasn't ready for Scottish-style proportional representation.

-----------------

I was pleasantly surprised to find biscuits among the hotel breakfast foods this morning. No grits, but this is Buffalo we're talking about! Southern beggars can't be choosers.

-----------------

Without further ado, a completely random transition to a clip of the fantastic "Venus." Here is Shocking Blue, the pride of The Hague-->

2 comments:

WordSmith said...

Whoa... now THAT's embarrassing. How many times in my life have you patiently informed me that a given song is, in fact, a remake? I had no idea that anyone had recorded that one before Bananarama.

Am shamefacedly going to go study my music history text now...

But glad you're back safely and that your IKEA shopping trip was a success.

Southerner in the Great White North said...

Really, you'd never heard the original? Good, isn't it?

Obscure Dutch band...