Saturday, October 13, 2007

Saturday, it's a Saturday

(semi-obscure De La Soul reference)

I had one of those Eddie Izzard "aaaah aaaah aah aaaaaaaaaah" moments today. After running through my new neighbourhood for the first time (cool), I walked a few blocks to a Subway (errr, the sandwich place, not the TTC subway) I had spotted for a quick lunch. As soon as I walked in, I thought, "Waaaaaaaaiiiit a second, this looks really familiar."

Now, I'm quite aware that Subway is not known for a tremendous range of decorative styles. That "old school NYC Subway diagram/map" motif is pretty much universal. Still, the place looked really familiar. And then it hit me: I'd eaten in that very Subway almost two years ago when I was here on vacation. Seeing huge buildings and famous spots again isn't really a big deal, but there was something about walking in to a sandwich place in my new neighbourhood and realizing I'd eaten there as a tourist two years ago that seemed strange. Not bad, just strange.

---------

I spotted Georgia AND Virginia license plates this week. The Virginia car was from Prince William County. It still seemed a bit cooler to see Nova Scotia plates this morning. Yeah, it's in Canada, too, but it's a LONG way from Toronto...

---------

There's a new quarter here highlighting the 2010 Winter Olympics, taking place out west in Vancouver, British Columbia.

---------

Finally hitting the concert scene again on Sunday, as the stellar Danish duo The Raveonettes are coming to Lee's Palace, a venue on Bloor Street. And on Monday I'm seeing Spoon at The Phoenix, the same place I saw Rilo Kiley a few weeks ago. Otherwise I'm just trying to get my place organized!

I still haven't seen The Ponys live, much to my chagrin...

2 comments:

Rachel said...

...there was something about walking in to a sandwich place in my new neighbourhood and realizing I'd eaten there as a tourist two years ago that seemed strange. Not bad, just strange.

Yes, I would imagine that would be very strange. I also find seeing a building that used to be part of my life but haven't seen in years just as odd. It's like seeing traces of your life etched in stone.

Southerner in the Great White North said...

Indeed. I saw an old elementary (primary) school of mine a few years ago for the first time in ages, and it was an odd feeling. Same with our old house in that city...