Monday, October 8, 2007

we always hang in a Buffalo stance

Well, well, today's post finds me in sunny Buffalo, New York, mere minutes from the Canadian border.

I've been back in the States for a half-week or so, and drove up last night to be able to export my car from the US and import it in to Canada this morning. Slight problem. It's Columbus Day (gee, what a fantastic guy to celebrate), so when I got to the border the US Customs guy politely informed that I'd have to wait until tomorrow. D'oh. I knew weekends and "holidays" were non-export days, but hadn't really thought of this as a "holiday." (On a side note, it is Thanksgiving in Canada today.)

So, I turned right around and headed back into Buffalo (just 10 minutes away). Went back to last night's hotel. Sold out. Went to the Hyatt. Sold out. Why, you ask? Multiple hotel sellouts in downtown Buffalo? This is why. The Bills are hosting the Dallas Cowboys. As I left the Hyatt roomless, I walked past a bloke in a suit who said "hello." I returned the favor. He was heading into an ESPN luncheon at the Hyatt, and his name is Roger Goodell. He's the commissioner of the National Football League! Crazy.

The Hampton Inn had an opening, so here I am, writing away in its business center as I wait for my room. And who was next to me in the business center? This guy, who works for Fox Sports. Nice guy. I'm having all sorts of NFL sightings.

My plans for getting into Toronto early today so I could get lots of things unpacked and put up in the new apartment were definitely thwarted, but there's nothing I can do about it. So I'll enjoy my day in Buffalo (never been here before, except late last night). Maybe I'll wander over to Niagara Falls and sing Interpol's "Pioneer To The Falls"...

2 comments:

Marty DiBergi said...

"But you had to have style, get a gold tooth smile."

Or maybe you're a Buffalo Soldier.....'red-faced' rasta

Southerner in the Great White North said...

Ah, Neneh Cherry, a Swedish classic.

Yes, I'm the Blond Rasta!